Please scroll down for details and prices
Oil on canvas
51 x 63 ins (129.54 x 160.02 cms)
Sorry this item is sold
Llanddwyn Island (Ynys Llanddwyn) is located at the far end of a pleasant beach near Newborough Warren in Anglesey. Llanddwyn is not quite an island, it remains attached to the mainland at all but the highest tides. It provides excellent views of Snowdonia and the Lleyn Peninsula and is part of the Newborough Warren National Nature Reserve.
Llanddwyn Island is situated near the southern entrance to the Menai Strait. As a result it became important as shipping of slate from the ports of Bangor, Caernarfon and Felinhelli increased. A beacon, called T?r Bach, was built at the tip of the island to provide guidance to ships heading for the Strait. Another more effective lighthouse, T?r Mawr, which was modelled on the windmills of Anglesey, was built nearby in 1845. The older lighthouse has now returned to service after a modern light was placed on top.
The name Llanddwyn means "The church of St. Dwynwen". She is the Welsh patron saint of lovers, making her the Welsh equivalent of St. Valentine. Her feast day, 25 January, is often celebrated by the Welsh with cards and flowers, just as is 14 February for St. Valentine.
Tues - Sat 10.00am - 5.30 pm
All other times by appointment